Wednesday, May 15, 2013

On the Road, Again!

Well boys and girls, I couldn't resist any longer. After a quick bath to wash the garage dust off of the car, I decided to take the Volvorine for a quick little putt putt around the block, and putt putt she did, successfully making the journey and safely returned to the garage without losing any important bits!

They see me rollin'

They hatin'

This little adventure taught me a few things that need seeing to:

  • The left turn backing out of the garage dumped a bunch of washing water out of the heater box into the passenger footwell. The immediate right turn down the road dumped the rest of it onto my shoe. Will need to investigate that drain hose and seals
  • The accelerator pedal doesn't seem to move the throttles until it's halfway to the floor. Time to replace bushings on the throttle linkage.
  • Idle was almost entirely controlled with the choke. I really need to get to that carb tuning...
But, there was even more good news, showing I'm closer to the end than the start!
  • The brakes are solid enough to get me to the DMV for title and registration (will be even more soliderer with some bleeding)
  • The speedometer, while bouncy, at least provides some vague indication of my forward progress
  • First through third gears spin splendidly.

The Short List

This brings me to my short list to wrap up mechanical work and make the car ready for it's trip to the body shop. As always, I may find good news or bad news, so the situation will remain fluid, but at least I can put together a checklist to start marking things off!
  • Rewire the ignition coil back through the tachometer. Seriously, I want to know why the last guy moved it to a single screw hanging off the engine block.
  • Adjust the throttle linkage to give some semblance of a link between what happens at the accelerator pedal and what happens at the carbs.
  • Set the timing and tune the carbs.
  • Put more bullet points into my blog.

So, spose it's time to dig up some insurance and get ready to check out some body shops. Now, more road candy for my adoring fans:

I'm all out of captions. Let's go for a drive!

1 comment: