Monday, February 3, 2014

Weatherstripping


Unfortunately for you guys, this post will be more informative than funny. Sorry 'bout that, I promise to do better next time.

I replaced a bunch of weather stripping in my '67 last weekend (or the weekend before, I don't recall) and figure some of you might find this info useful. Replaced the trunk seal, hood seal, and the seal around the bottom of the trunk with a door seal from McMaster-Carr (style #18 on the link below):
http://www.mcmaster.com/#epdm-rubber-seals/=qjh1si

I'm sure there are other suppliers. 25 feet did the trunk to trunk lid, trunk floor to trunk sidewall, and hood, and set me back some sixty bucks plus shipping. Reasonable shipping, not 99 cent gadget on eBay with sixteen dollars shipping, shipping.



Profile shot... And ugly trunk.


Now, hood and trunk seals are available from the usual sources, but I'm cheap and it was a way to get something for the trunk floor before I lost something in the cracks. If it were a stone for killing birds, it would kill all three! It fits the gap perfectly around the trunk floor, and looks to make a suitable seal around the boot lid. I'd test it with the hose, but it's cold out. Maybe later, check for updates or bug me.

Install profile
Trunk Floor in Progress

Installation is very straightforward. On the trunk floor, just push it on the lip and cut it when you run into an obstruction. Around the boot lid it's a bit more of a challenge. You need to plan getting it around the hinges as well as loosen the hinge bolts to really get it worked in. The angled lip around the opening also takes some wiggling to get the seal to seat itself, but it feels quite satisfying when seated.

Work in progress
Work done

The hood install is the same as the trunk, need to wiggle it around the lip. The clips that hold the water lines to the the windshield washer nozzles need to be removed for this to be installed. I'll figure out how to secure them sometime down the road, but they don't move around too much. My car apparently had some front end damage in its storied and unknown past, and there is a thicker plate under the opening on the passenger side starting a few inches from the top of the hood opening. In any case, I had enough material to cover the back wall of the hood opening, down about a foot on either side.

Lookin' gooooood

Sorry again for the boring, informative blog, but I'll make it up to you. Next time we'll talk about the stereo. Oh yeah, hold on to your butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment